DJI launched its newest product last week. DJI is taking a new path and comes with an Action Camera. DJI’s experience in designing drones and camera technology, such as advanced image stabilization, capturing smooth and stable video images in the most demanding environments, are brought together in the Osmo Action Cam. Ideal for both professionals and adventurers.
“DJI has always pushed the boundaries of technology, and the creators of content who love our products have made it clear that they also wanted us to push the boundaries of their creative potential. Osmo Action is our ultramodern response to what the creative community demands Exceptional image quality and stabilization in a unique and durable new form, with two colour screens and seamless software integration For everyone who demands the utmost of material, Osmo Action sets the new standard, whether you capture images with the Mavic 2, or Incredibly smooth images with Osmo Pocket or with the Osmo Action, DJI offers a complete package for all creative needs. ” Roger Luo, DJI President
Construction and design
A compact yet durable design makes Osmo Action the ideal camera for adventures in life. The Osmo Action is built to withstand extreme conditions with ease, is dustproof, shockproof, waterproof and can work at temperatures up to zero.
Osmo Action uses colour screens on the front and back, a unique design feature that provides a more convenient composition of scenes while on the move. The 2.25-inch touchscreen on the back features water and fingerprint-resistant coating, and the 1.4-inch front screen makes vlogging and selfies easier than ever before. With a brightness of 750 nits, Osmo Action can be used in severe lighting conditions, including direct sunlight.
The interactive user interface of OSMO Action, Action OS, combines a streamlined and functional physical design with flexible operation. Switch on, start the recording and rotate the video and photo recording modes in an instant with three special buttons. Never miss a moment with the help of SnapShot, which allows Osmo Action to be turned on and start recording within two seconds by pressing the shutter button once.
Technology & picture quality
A 1 / 2.3-inch sensor records 12-megapixel photos and 4K video up to 60 fps at 100 Mbps in stunning detail, guaranteeing high-quality images. A design with three glass aspherical lenses registers distortion with low distortion and helps to reduce distortion effects for improved scenes.
The lens cap is finished with two layers of anti-fingerprint coating to keep the photo clean during use, as well as an anti-reflective coating to reduce the unwanted effects of lens glare, giving users more flexibility to shoot in bright conditions.
With more than a decade of experience in creating mechanical axis loads with three axes, Osmo Action is the first DJI handheld camera with RockSteady, the Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) technology from DJI. Powerful stabilization algorithms work with EIS to record every movement in smooth, stable, high-quality video even when recording 4K / 60fps.
Besides, Osmo Action is suitable for High Dynamic Range (HDR) video in 4K / 30 fps, which provides an additional three stops of dynamic range, natural transitions between light and dark areas and rich details that are often lost in complex lighting conditions.
Osmo Action has a removable battery with a lead time of 93 minutes of recording at 4K / 30fps with RockSteady enabled and 135 minutes of recording at 1080p / 30fps without RockSteady. With dual microphones, users can take advantage of the Osmo Action voice control and a speaker provides excellent playback quality.
An important part of the DJI product range: Osmo Action offers a wide range of highly creative functions that are built into the camera and that users can use with a few simple taps. Choose between:
- Slo-mo: 8x slow motion in 1080p 240fps or 4x slow motion in 1080p 120fps provides a visually appealing effect when documenting action-packed scenes.
- Timelapse: if the user wants to change minutes into seconds, Timelapse is perfect for capturing unique content with the effect that the world moves faster.
- Custom exposure settings: shoot at the stars with manual and semi-automatic settings that allow up to 120 seconds of exposure, perfect for capturing the night sky.
What can I do with it?
With the recently released DJI Mimo app (iOS & Android) to connect Osmo Action to your mobile device with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth for extra functionality, including a live feed from the camera, multi-story templates, fast editing in the app and more. An ecosystem with accessories helps to unleash all the possibilities of Osmo Action, including:
- Camera Frame Kit: included with Osmo Action, the Camera Frame Kit offers a universal mount for additional accessories and a window for the LED indicator to show the camera status in real time while the device is being protected.
- Self-adhesive fixings: fix Osmo Action on flat or curved surfaces such as skateboards, bikes, helmets and more to capture quick moments. Both the curved and the flat adhesive fixings are supplied with Osmo Action.
- Waterproof cover: the waterproof cover protects the device at a depth of up to 60 meters and offers a clear image using big glass.
- 3.5 mm adapter: the 3.5 mm adapter gives users the possibility to connect an external microphone for professional sound recordings.
- Extendable handle: capture unique angles with the extendable handle, which is equipped with a rotating telephone holder and a ¼-inch screw adapter.
- Handle: the handle offers a comfortable grip for Osmo Action and keeps it floating while shooting in water.
- Filters: Osmo Action comes with Neutral Density (ND), Polarizer and underwater filters. ND filters (ND4, ND8, ND16 and ND32) reduce exposure to light in different environments, while Polarizer filters reduce reflections and increase colour saturation for a more attractive image. Orange seawater and purple freshwater filters restore the natural colour of underwater scenes.
- Charging hub: charge up to three batteries at the same time in less than 130 minutes.